Monday 15 September 2014

Fruit Forest

I really wanted to achieve an abundant variety of fruit in my backyard. I have established a fruit forest in the area of my yard where the chooks live. The idea of doing this is to produce shade for my girls over summer, to get free fertiliser from the chooks and to make the most of available space.

So far in my fruit forest I have:

Granny Smith Apple
Pink Lady Apple ( these varieties cross pollinate)
Myer Lemons (2 growing in pots)

Mandarin (imperial)

Lime
Fejoa ( I have 3 of theses growing in the sub canopy layer)

Fig ( black genoa)
Nectarine
Peaches ( black boy and a freestone variety, also a peacharine cross variety)
Plums ( blood and orange fleshed varieties that cross pollinate)
Finger lime ( this was a lucky dip unnamed variety I purchased cheaply from (magnet mart)
Goji berries ( 2 of these)
Raspberries
Thornless Blackberries
Kiwi berries ( something new to try from the holt nursery)

Most of these varieties are dwarf stock, the only full sized trees are the apples, peach and fig. I plan to keep these pruned to a very manageable size. I heard a saying somewhere " you never see a ladder in a peach orchard".

I have planted all of the above over the last 12 months, I would expect to have an abundant supply of fruit throughout most of the year in about 2-4 years. I am not really a very patient person, however I am really looking forward to it !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment