Monday 25 August 2014

Roast lamb and crust less quiches

This week my husband is working nights, being the good wife I am, I came home from work early and started cooking his favourite meal for when he gets home.
A Lamb roast, potato bake (as roast potato is never really that nice reheated), roast pumpkin, with a side of peas, beans and carrots.



Growing up on a farm, raising fat lambs, eating roast lamb was often a Sunday ritual in our house. Now as I am older and raising my own family, we often enjoy a roast on a Monday (partly because it's a dish my husband cooks well, I don't often get home from work till late). Left over roast lamb is great on sandwiches and amazing on pizzas (especially with roast pumpkin and rocket).

I still carry on the tradition of pancakes Sunday morning. My mother makes the most amazing pancakes, I could never manage to get her recipe right (I am sure she is keeping the exact recipe a secret) but I have found another great recipe that our family enjoys way too much!

I am also making some yummy individual crust less quiches for lunches this week. These quiches are a great way of using up all of the odds and ends in the fridge. I am always finding myself drawn to the vegetable patch to pick fresh produce to add. The star of the dish has to be the fresh eggs from my girls.



Today's version  

leg ham cut fresh from the bone
Spinach leaves fresh from the garden
spring onions fresh from the garden
roasted capsicum
roasted pumpkin
mushrooms (my husband often comes home with lovely mushrooms from the markets
6 eggs
1/2 cup thick cream
1/2 cup grated cheese
freshly grated pepper

I just mix all of the ingredients together and bake on 180 until set (usually about 20 minutes)

This time of year is what is often referred to as the "Hungry Patch" (a time when not much is growing in the garden) I can usually muster up at least a couple of goodies from the garden).  Next years plan is to have an abundant supply of preserved produce to see us through the winter season.

last summer I remember giving baskets full of  fresh produce to everyone and anyone. I am currently looking into classes to learn about preserving my harvest and ways to freeze and store, to see me through next years hungry patch. I so detest buying produce form big corporate chains, when I can grow the freshest seasonal produce in my own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment